The British Heatwave is in full swing. Sunshine equates to happiness in my books. However, while I love a balmy evening with a rose in my hand, the heat makes it harder to sleep. Especially in Britain, where average households are not accustomed to air conditioning. So what do we do? How do we actually sleep better? Here are some of our top tips!
- Ensure bedding is breathable and light. It took me until the 2022 heatwave to do this as no one wants to buy an extra duvet but swapping out our standard 12.5 to a 4.5 toggle made a real difference - where I get the weight of a duvet but the coolness of a blanket. Sometimes the sheets themselves can be hot to the skin, so changing your sheets and bedding to a cooler material such as bamboo or linen might make a difference.
- Open all your windows and doors to your bedroom to let the airflow. We've even opened the windows of the other rooms on the bedroom floor.
- Keep the room cool throughout the day. Rooms that are cool all day end up being cooler in the evening. We ensure all blinds and curtains are closed during the day so the sun can't get through.
- Have a shower or bath before bed. So this has become an evening ritual in our household. We have a lukewarm shower or bath with our Breathe In Bath & Shower Oil; the water cools our body down, helping regulate our temperature before bed. It may sound counterintuitive, but it really works. If you don't want to commit to a full-body water down, dipping your feet in a cool bowl of water or splashing arms and legs with water can also do the trick.
- Keep up your aromatherapy rituals. This is no time to stop using your favourite essential oils or pillow spray. Give your pillow and linen a squirt of your favourite sleep scent, using the natural benefits of essential oils to aid your sleep.
- A fan is a great option to help circulate air in the room to cool you down. Adding a cold bowl of water or ice in front of the fan may help further cool the room.
- Stay hydrated. When it's hot, we lose more water and minerals from the body. So remember to replenish hydration and minerals. Drinking lots of fluids throughout the day and having a bath will help with mineral replenishment. Some even say having a hot drink can help you cool down!
Any other tips? Leave in the comments below!